Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Money in Mexico

There's quite a difference between how we handle money in the US and how it is done in Mexico. I'm a bookkeeper, so I am accustomed to putting everything on my Visa card and keeping careful track of the transactions on the computer. Here, cash is used much more often, and credit cards seem frowned upon. When you pay in cash, frequently you don't receive a receipt. It makes me wonder how businesses keep track of what they are doing. It is normal to use a debit card in grocery stores.

We opened an account in Bancomer Bank the last time we were in Mexico. They have a special unit just for foreigners. Paulina, on the left, is our representative. See how Ted is enjoying her company! Her English is perfect, and she has been walking us through all our transactions, including teaching me to use online banking (in Spanish!!) They have a special teller line for their "preferred customers" so usually there is no waiting. Until recently, no banks showed any interest in their non-Spanish speaking customers. I often wonder who woke up one morning with the brainstorm of making a specialty of working with foreigners. This is a city full of tourists. I'm sure it was a hugely profitable move.

So here I am now, retired with no income of my own, learning how to easily use a joint account, and on top of that, learning how to use mostly cash. How will I keep track of things? Maybe a notebook....or maybe just not keep track at all. This could be my biggest adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment